When we think of tequila, we automatically think Margaritas, but the versatility of this spirit made us take it in a different direction. If you’ve never had a Negroni made with tequila in place of gin, you are in for a pleasant surprise! In addition to tequila, this version has tart cherry-infused Aperol, a friendly replacement for the traditional Campari. Serve on the rocks for summer sipping!
Summertime Tequila Negroni
- 1 oz. Silver tequila
- 1 oz. Tart cherry-infused Aperol*
- 1 oz. Sweet red vermouth
- Fill an Old Fashioned glass with ice.
- Measure in the tequila, cherry-infused Aperol, and sweet red vermouth.
- Stir to combine. Zest the lemon peel directly over the drink and drop in.
- Garnish with some of the marinated cherries and a twist of lemon peel.
1 cup Aperol
½ cup frozen pitted tart cherries (or fresh if you can find them at the market)
Place the cherries in a jar and then add the Aperol. Cover and refrigerate. Let infuse for a minimum of 2 days before using. Makes about 1 cup, enough for about 8 drinks. Use the marinated cherries as garnish for cocktails. Kathy Casey is an award-winning chef and mixologist, best known as the original Bar Chef. She owns Kathy Casey Food Studios – Liquid Kitchen a global full-service food, beverage, and concept development agency. Follow: @KathyCaseyChef.