The folks at Honey Salt restaurant in Las Vegas sent us these for Cornmeal Fried Green Tomatoes for the 2021 Kentucky Derby, but we think they’d be great at any time.
Apparently, it’s a favorite of restaurant owner and Vegas socialite, Elizabeth Blau. We’ll drink to that—a Ginger Peach Julep that Honey Salt designed to go with the Cornmeal Fried Green Tomatoes. Cheers!
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 Green tomatoes
- ¼ cup Cornmeal
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Slice green tomatoes 1/2″ thick
- Dredge lightly in flour
- Wash in egg
- Mix panko and cornmeal and coat tomatoes evenly
- Set aside for frying
- Heat oil to 350F
- Fry breaded green tomatoes for about 1 minute (or until golden brown and crispy)
- Drain onto paper towel and season lightly with kosher salt
- Top with desired amount of pimento, garnish with dressed arugula and Fresno peppers.
Ginger Peach Julep
- 1 oz. Frey Ranch bourbon
- 1 oz. Peach nectar or puree
- ¼ oz. Domain de Canton ginger liqueur
- ¼ oz. Simple syrup
- 6 drops Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 handful Fresh mint
- Crystalized ginger
- In a mixing glass, add the mint with the simple syrup and muddle.
- Add ice and remaining ingredients.
- Stir and strain into a julep cup or any rocks glass over ice—crushed is classic, cubed works too.
- Garnish with crystalized ginger and mint.